Sunday, May 25, 2014

Tour of the Hawkesbury (One Ferry Crossing Version) 100Km

I woke up this morning knowing I wanted to ride but not quite sure on the destination, or for that matter, what bike I was going to ride.

I settled on my touring bike and decided that on a lovely day like today, the Hawkesbury would be the ideal location.
Welcome to Windsor

This is the One Ferry Version of my Tour of the Hawkesbury. I have also ridden a Two Ferry crossing version which takes you along River Rd. River Rd was closed today so mid-ride I decided on the One Ferry Crossing version. I have also mapped out a Three Ferry Crossing version that takes you all the way up to Wisemans Ferry. More on those rides another day.

Route for today


The ride to Windsor from my house is approximately 20km of dedicated bike path. I tend to ride on the bike path when I'm on my touring bike, but you do get a nicer (less start/stop) run if you decide to ride on the road shoulder, which is nice and wide for the majority of the way down to Windsor.

Memorial Cycleway
The traffic from Windsor road can get quite loud so I normally hit play on my mp3 player to drown out the noise. Today, some classic metal in the way of Ronnie James Dio "Holy Diver" made for a quick trip down to Windsor.
The Windsor strip comes alive on Sunday's with the Market stalls lining the main strip.
Windsor Markets
Overlooking the Hawkesbury
I have mixed feelings about crossing the Hawkesbury on the rickety old bridge. I have yet to decide what is safer, taking my chances on the road and avoiding the screaming cars, or taking my chances on the narrow pedestrian bridge and hoping that a sudden cross wind doesn't throw me over the edge for an impromptu swim. The weather being the way it was, I figured a cross wind was unlikely and took my chances on the pedestrian lane today. Crossing went without incident and I started to think about my first break and Apricot Danish and Coffee.

Heading for the Bridge
I don't know if the Wilberforce bakery makes the best Danish in the world, or it's just that guilt free feeling you get eating high calorie foods during a bike ride, that makes them taste oh so good.
Danish...hmmm Yum

I decided to take a little detour via Tizzana road today and rode down to Australia's oldest Church (Ebenezer Church) and do a little sight seeing on the way. 

Tizzana Rd

Coromandel Rd

Ebenezer church is just down Coromandel Rd and definitely worth a visit. I took a little stroll through the graveyards and down to the river. I felt a little self conscious actually, parading in my winter MAMIL gear, but what are you going to do LOL.

Ebenezer Church

Ebenezer Church


Back on the bike and I hear a whole lot of pure horsepower. It appears that the Shelby Cobra club was coming to town. There's almost nothing like the sound of petrol guzzling muscle cars, nothing except for the wind running past your ears when you're on a two wheel bike that is.

Shelby Club in Town

Next stop was Tizzana winery. I was tempted to go in and do some wine tasting but somehow I didn't think drinking a few glasses of wine and then getting back on the bike to complete a 100km ride was a good idea.
Tizzana Winery

Windmill thingies at the winery


Vineyard across the road

Tizzana Winery


There is a section of gravel along Tizzana road so if you decide to do this ride on a road bike, take a little extra care along this section. It is approximately 500m to 1km in length and well maintained so you should be fine.

Sackville Cemetery

The Sackville Cemetery is also worthy of a look. Some really old tombstones here and unlike Ebenezer where it appears that some of the older tombstones have been replaced/restored by family members or the Ebenezer church, these old tombstones do look old. The years of weathering has actually made it really hard to read some of them.
I'm not sure if it was the passing clouds, the dead silence or the feeling that I was walking over unmarked graves that made chills run down my back, it was all so eerie and cool.

Sackville Cemetery

The gravel road across from the cemetery


Eerie

Old Tombstones


A little more of the nice gravel road (see my blog post a few entries down) and we finish our detour and are back on Sackville Ferry road and ready to board.

Baaaaahhhh

Tizzana Nice Gravel Road

Welcome to the Hawkesbury


The Sackville Ferry is a cable ferry across the Hawkesbury River connecting the communities of Sackville, on the north/west bank of the river, and Sackville North, on the south/east bank.

Sackville Crossing

The ferry is operated by a private sector operator under contract to New South Wales Roads and Maritime Services (RMS), carries a maximum of 12 cars at a time, and is free of tolls. The crossing is 290 metres (950 ft) in length and takes approximately 3 minutes.

On the Ferry
The ferry operates on demand 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, but is closed for maintenance on the first Wednesday of each month between 1245 and 1515.
All aboard!


Once you are across the river, you have a nice steady climb up to Wisemans Ferry road.

You make me feel like I can fly, So high, Elevation
 
On the corner of Sackville Road and Wisemans Ferry road is a quaint little store that sells second hand books, some local produce, and life saving water and cold drinks. The nice old lady that runs the store gave me two free pears :-) How sweet of her.

Free Pears

from old lady who owns this store
Wisemans Ferry road has got a nice decent shoulder for most of the way, but do be careful as you get to Cattai road and subsequently Pitt Town road as there are sections that are void of shoulders requiring the rider to share the road with some enthusiastic motor bikers and Sunday drivers out enjoying the weather. However, most motorist give you plenty of room and I've always been shown plenty of courtesy on this stretch of road.

Pitt Town - Note the Small Shoulder
If you have time, take a right just past the Cattai National park sign into Cattai Bridge Reserve, there's a short dirt road down to the creek which makes for a nice little intermission for lunch or snack.
Cattai Creek

Before you know it, you're at the intersection of Pitt Town Rd and Windsor road. I headed back to Windsor to get some of the tastiest pies this side of Windsor :-) That mash potato really did hit the spot giving me back some well needed carbs.

Carbs carbs carbs...yum!
The ride back home is along the Memorial Cycleway and time to hit the MP3 player again to drown the traffic. "Peace Sells... but Who's Buying" Megadeth was an appropriate choice for the last 20km's home.

Heading home


Distance: 101.58 km
Time: 4:43:43
Elevation Gain: 685 m
Calories: 3,357 C
Avg Temperature: 23.2 °C
Avg Moving Speed: 21.7 km/h
Max Speed: 48.7 km/h




No comments:

Post a Comment